Monday, June 9, 2008

I am FINALLY in Africa

Bonjour from Africa!

I arrived in Yaounde (the capital of Cameroon) on Saturday night after a looooooong 18 hour flight. We had a nice dinner in the hotel with the whole group and met the Peace Corps Director of Cameroon and our teachers for Pre-Service Training. On Sunday we explored the city a little bit. This experience only reinforced the fact that I am horrible at French and survive only by speaking Frenish (a combination of French and Spanish...). I can't wait to learn more French and actually be able to have conversations with Cameroonians.

On Sunday night, we went to the Country Director's house for dinner. We got to meet the Ambassador of Cameroon as well as other Peace Corps officials. Everyone was amazing and very inviting. Today we had our Language Placement tests and let me just say...there were a lot of pauses and I tripped out of my chair as I stood up to leave...that should give you an idea of how things went.

I absolutely love it here right now and am having an amazing time. Although, as our medical packet said today, this is Stage 1 and you are filled with euphoria and unrealisitc expectations. Stage 2 follows shortly and is definitely not so happy...but I'm not there yet so I will just say I am still in Stage 1.

I will write more later...people are waiting for the computer.

I miss everyone!! Write when you can!

Love from l'Afrique,
Connie

7 comments:

Liz Bogard said...

Dear Sweet Connie,
I'm so glad you made it to Africa okay. We are all anxious to hear more, so write when you can, Honey, the good and the bad. We just want to hear your thoughts and feelings about your whole experience. We miss you too. I bet you will learn French fast. You seem very enthusiastic and eager to learn it quickly so you can communicate easier. Love you so much. Take good care of yourself and be safe. Love and hugs to you, Connie! M O M

Unknown said...

Sounds like everything is going well! It's so crazy you are in Africa! I still can't believe it. I am waiting anxiously for more details about everything. I am so glad you had a chance to write a little something, but please write again ASAP. Good luck learning French and have lots of fun. I miss you!
Kara

lee! said...

hey...just saw your note! i am so jealous!!! still no word on my cameroon trip - i will probably know in the middle of september.

is vegetarian/vegan food available?!?

lee! said...

ps. HoC misses you!!!

Sheila said...

Hi Connie,
How are you doing? We all think of you and hope you're learning the language and culture quickly.
We're all doing well. We're planning a 60th birthday party for Russ and sent out invites to the whole family.
Jen and Josh got back from Mexico and had a nice vacation down there.
Alex turned 4 on Father's Day and they had a nice backyard party for him and all the Dads.
Your graduation picture with your Mom, Dad and Matt looks so good of all of you. Congratulations again.
Russ and I went to see the flooding tonight near St. Charles, where another levee broke. It hasn't affected any of us here, but it's very sad for those people who have lost their homes and crops.
Well, know that you're in our thoughts and prayers and we'll keep checking your blog.
Love,
Sheila

it supposed to be anonymical said...

Connie, my love it is July 14th and you have not written in over a month. I need details woman!

Love and miss you so so much,
Heather

Yannick said...

Hi Connie,
I discover your blog, it is nice yuour work on peace corps.Hope that you enjoy your camerounian adventure.
Yannick